Monday, February 11, 2013

Potty Training

I hesitated to share this information because I know there are so many opinions on the subject but ultimately I wanted to share what worked for us!  I will also forewarn that there is poop and potty talk in this post so if that offends you still clear.

When Ellie was just over two years old we bought and read Three Day Potty Training.  I know that this book has LOTS of positive reviews and success stories.  For us...it was a disaster.  At the beginning of Day 3 Ellie had never told us she needed to go potty and all we were doing was running back and forth all day.  I decided that it just wasn't time for us.

Starting in September at 2 1/2 Ellie was consistently telling us when she needed to poop in the potty and was successful at least 90% of the time.  However, we still weren't quite there on going potty.  I attribute this to a few different factors that I will not share on this blog.  At the beginning of November she started coming to us on her own and telling us when she needed to go potty.  We had some big changes coming up so I still didn't push things.  I knew that I would be home full time soon so we decided to hold off just a bit longer.

The Friday after Christmas I put Ellie in panties.  We haven't looked back since.  Since being in panties she has only had TWO accidents.  While I realize this isn't the norm for kids and we could still have accidents in the future.  I attribute her to success to the fact that she was a little bit older and that she was 100% ready when we made the switch.

She has even consistently been staying dry throughout the night and if she does need to go potty overnight she wakes up to go!  We are so happy to say goodbye to pull-ups and diapers.

No comments:

Post a Comment